|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Blade Putters on Tour

What happened to blade putters on the pga tour?

(Specifically true blade putters in the style of the wilson 8802, cleveland designed by series, calamity jane, George Low Wizard 600 etc.)

Some of the most dominant golfers ever to play golf ie. Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus primarily used blade putters. So why isn't anyone playing them anymore? I guess Mickelson uses a putter thats almost like a blade, but other than that I haven't seen any PGA pros with one.

The anser style putter has dominated the leader boards the last 20yrs or so. Why though? I know they are supposed to be more forgiving than a blade, but why does a tour pro need foregiveness in his putter. I don't think Arnold, Jack, or Ben Crenshaw ever lost strokes because their putters didn't have enough forgiveness.

I would rate "feel" as one of the most important aspects of putting (among others... I know ie. green reading - not trying to debate about that). I think blade putters have the most feel and feedback. I would rate the anser style using a premium metal as a close 2nd (you can definitely feel how well you've struck a putt with most anser style Scotty Camerons).

I have yet to see a tour pro win consistently over a long period on tour that uses belly putters, mallets, or other crazy looking style that incorporates high moi into the putter head.

I say bring back the blade putter.
    Last edited by scottcrow; 09-13-2007 at 01:04 PM.

well said sir... well said... i am standing and applauding your post...

my scotty cameron is this one

Name:  503d_12.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  5199_12.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  4f8a_12.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  4ed9_12[1].jpg
Views: 466
Size:  25.6 KB

well what do ya think of this bee yoot??? stunning i know.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Very, very, very nice putter Omen. I will eventually get a Scotty but can't justify shelling out that kinda money when I can putt pretty close to the same with my current odyssey. But when I finally do buy one, it will be one similar to that.
    Driver---Callaway X460 10* Stiff
    5 Wood--- Titleist 904 Fuji Speeder Stiff 19*
    Irons--- 3/Pw Cobra 3100I/H
    Wedge--- 52* Cleveland 588 DSG oilcan
    Wedge--- 56* Cleveland Cg11 Chrome
    Putter--- Odyssey Whitehot #9 (Philly Micks)
    Ball--- ProV1x or Callaway HX Tour

Omen that is a thing of beauty.

A Scotty in perfect condition like that does make the heart flutter.

I like that finish on a putter but I'm not a fan of that style. I prefer the Anser type. Just my personal preference though. I dont like the true blade putter unless its GRAIN FLOW FORGED.

tmac
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Man up and get a 2 Bar Mallet
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

i really like that custom paintfill on the cameron Omen it really sets it off... nice...

thank you everyone..

tmac dont make me make you hate being born. son a scotty cameron is a hand made piece of art....

my cameron is even a little more special... only the 2001 studio design's offered the # 3 design.... my putter is such that only an ELITE GOLF PURIST would know to have one.

you may bow at my feet and beg me for forgiveness for your blasphemy and insufferable ignorance. you may freely interject the grain flow forged comment upon anybody, but NEVER ON THE PHUCKING AUTHOR, AND NEVER TO INSULT SOMETHING MORE VALUABLE THAN YOUR LIFE.

any questions...

Omen.

.... i really do love the putter... i lost the head cover and i have been to lazy to get around to buying another one so the putter is hanging above the fireplace on a beautifully crafted board with black velvet supporting it. there she will stay until i get another suitable headcover.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    i lost the head cover and i have been to lazy to get around to buying another one so the putter is hanging above the fireplace on a beautifully crafted board with black velvet supporting it. there she will stay until i get another suitable headcover.
    For what those things cost you should have free headcovers for life… as well as at least 5 years of roadside (cartside?) assistance.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

thank you everyone..

tmac dont make me make you hate being born. son a scotty cameron is a hand made piece of art....

my cameron is even a little more special... only the 2001 studio design's offered the # 3 design.... my putter is such that only an ELITE GOLF PURIST would know to have one.

you may bow at my feet and beg me for forgiveness for your blasphemy and insufferable ignorance. you may freely interject the grain flow forged comment upon anybody, but NEVER ON THE PHUCKING AUTHOR, AND NEVER TO INSULT SOMETHING MORE VALUABLE THAN YOUR LIFE.

any questions...

Omen.

.... i really do love the putter... i lost the head cover and i have been to lazy to get around to buying another one so the putter is hanging above the fireplace on a beautifully crafted board with black velvet supporting it. there she will stay until i get another suitable headcover.
    yeah but...It doesn't have MWT like a 2 Bar.

Man up and Go For It,

JS

Lol I agree about the headcovers for life. You should be able to call them and they should send you a 5-Pack Next Day Air at no charge.
    Driver---Callaway X460 10* Stiff
    5 Wood--- Titleist 904 Fuji Speeder Stiff 19*
    Irons--- 3/Pw Cobra 3100I/H
    Wedge--- 52* Cleveland 588 DSG oilcan
    Wedge--- 56* Cleveland Cg11 Chrome
    Putter--- Odyssey Whitehot #9 (Philly Micks)
    Ball--- ProV1x or Callaway HX Tour

thank you everyone..

any questions...

Omen.

I'll PM you if I have any questions concerning your last post. I like your putter, I PREFER MY NEWPORT 2!!@#%!@%#%^

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

well said sir... well said... i am standing and applauding your post...

my scotty cameron is this one

Name:  503d_12.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  5199_12.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  4f8a_12.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  4ed9_12[1].jpg
Views: 466
Size:  25.6 KB

well what do ya think of this bee yoot??? stunning i know.

That is a flat out pretty putter. I've got a Newport 2 and maybe once I have a bunch of excess cash and can't figure out what to do with it, I'll send it to Scotty Cameron's company and have them make it more badass.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I have the '07 Charcoal Mist Circa 62 #3 model and I freakin love it. My camera blows on close up pics so I'll post the stock pic. Until you've used a Scotty out on the course you will think it's too expensive. These things however, aren't putters they are works of art. The weight & feel is simply unmatched. I have always used the plumbing neck answer style models. I like how they frame the ball.

I've used this putter for 4 rounds now & I've yet to 3 putt. Love the red baby T grip too.

Funny how people think $300 is insane for a putter but not for a driver, even though the putter accounts for 40% of your score.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

PS the new headcovers kick arse.

I've had one $240 Newport 2 for 5 years and about 5 $3-400 drivers during that time, none of which I like more than my Scotty. It's the drivers that should come with airbags and free roadside assitance.

By the way, not a lot of people know that Scotty Cameron had changed his name. It was originally Cameroni. It is difficult not to hold that against him.

I never meant to indicate that the putter isn’t worth the money. My joke, but kind of a point as well, is that a premium high-end piece like that should be accompanied by some *****ing customer service from either manufacturer or retailer (ideally both).

I lost a headcover off of a fairway wood awhile back. My first move was to one of the retailers I deal with. I didn’t even buy the wood from them and my sales rep when to the back room and got me a new one. That is the product of being a good customer. Any good shop knows this approach will make customer keep coming back.
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Really guys?

You can't use a word (the word for a female dog) that every major TV network is allowed to use on daytime programs?

This site is starting to *I'll censor myself* me off...

Welcome to Golf Review on Nick Jr.
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    Really guys?

You can't use a word (the word for a female dog) that every major TV network is allowed to use on daytime programs?

This site is starting to *I'll censor myself* me off...

Welcome to Golf Review on Nick Jr.
    More like TV Land. Get used to it CPS. It's the new canadian breed of censorship.

No one likes to be told not to say “bad” words. I had enough of that when I was 10. I don’t need it in my mid-30’s coming from a couple of teenagers.

“They are only words. You can’t be afraid of words. Especially words that speak the truth.”

-George Carlin
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

No one likes to be told not to say “bad” words. I had enough of that when I was 10. I don’t need it in my mid-30’s coming from a couple of teenagers.

“They are only words. You can’t be afraid of words. Especially words that speak the truth.”

-George Carlin
    I've got a swear test going on in the Bad Credit Refinancing thread. It's our opportunity to test out curse words, at least until high school gets out and our mods delete the spam.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I have the 06 SC Circa 62 #3
    Nice feel, but I will probably be switching to Clevelands "design by 1905" Calamity Jane replica. It has awesome feel and no offsets.
    I also like the SC Napa, but it only comes in 35", and I am looking to move down to at least 34".
    One thing about the black finish on these Scotties is if I play in the morning I will have rust spots before the round is over (morning dew). Does kind of go away after wiping with cloth (might have silicates in it?)

But to the original question, why aren't pros using blades in the wilson 8802 style? No theories.

Well the charcoal mist model now is a lot more maintenance free than your model. If you have a scotty oil cloth you should wipe it down as soon as possible after each round. sometimes even during the round.

My theory on why the 8802 blade style putter is not too popular is because it's too easy to miss with. Mess up your ball position and you have very little chance of stroking one on line. Move your head during the stroke and you change the path, which changes the relative ball position in relation to square, and you get pushed or pulled putts all day.

I have a feeling pros just like to hole putts CONSISTENTLY, so they can make more money. It's common enough for someone using this style of putter to get on a hot streak and hole everything they look at, but it's equally common for the same player to have a miniscule amount of unnoticed sway of the head and spine and have the putter go as cold as the vacuum of space. Phil Mickelson anyone? On a good day, he putts lights out with the very best of them, but when he goes cold, he gets this reverse pivot going on in his stroke, and we've all seen him miss short ones on both sides of the cup all day long - for the reasons I stated above.

My other theory on why these putters aren't as popular as they once may have been is simple. It's not 1965 anymore, it's 2007. Greens are MUCH faster and more consistent, and as such it's harder to blame the course for your misses anymore, and people are finally figuring out that this style of putter is the most inconsistent performer on today's modern greens. You certainly don't see this style of putter winning any world putting championships anymore. Sometimes it pays to buck tradition if you wish to stay competitive with your peers.

-George Carlin

Please find the post were a MOD said saying "*****" was not allowed.

Until then, piss off.

tiger plays a blade style putter... some would say he's an okay putter.

there are two types of putters

blade style

and

mallet or perimeter weighted

any idea what category the newport/ anser style putter is in???

http://www.golfguidedirect.com/Golf-...nt/Putter.html

a little excerpt for you

However, there are just two main types of putters; the mallet and the blade putter.

hey 19 dont phuck with a big gun, or you'll get slapped.

so tiger putts with a blade style putter

Name:  t1_woods.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  tigersputter.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  29.9 KB

see it there in the photo 19? its right there blade style right there in his hand. hard to argue with that...

how stupid do you look? tiger doesnt putt with a blade style putter he uses the NEWPORT/ANSER (BLADE) style putter....LOL... WHAT A RETARD

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we dont hear from 19HANDICAP again on this subject and definitely not going to get a response to my post...

YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE GREATNESS THAT IS OMEN WHEN MY POST IS A PIPING HOT CUP OF SHUT THE F.UCK UP.

have a nice day

Omen

daveperk Guest
    There are only two blades.

Spalding Cash In

Acushnet Bullseye

All other putters are three dimensional bits of hardware varying only in the distance of each dimension and the kind of curves and angles employed in the three dimensions....But a Cash In is a flat, straight bronze blade, and so is a bullseye... you could sharpen their edges and use them for ballmark repair tools...

all else is clunky hardware-- which is often much easier to putt with, might I add.

(flinching in advance before the mighty power of Omen)

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    There are only two blades.

Spalding Cash In

Acushnet Bullseye

All other putters are three dimensional bits of hardware varying only in the distance of each dimension and the kind of curves and angles employed in the three dimensions....But a Cash In is a flat, straight bronze blade, and so is a bullseye... you could sharpen their edges and use them for ballmark repair tools...

all else is clunky hardware-- which is often much easier to putt with, might I add.

(flinching in advance before the mighty power of Omen)
    the Cameron American Classic flange is def a blade if those are... lol...

Thread Information