|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Had my swing put on video and I was mortified...

LOL. Im not gonna put it up here buy WOW was a shocked at the crap downswing I had. Had a lesson at GolfGalaxy recently. Backswing looked good but I tended to take the club too far inside and too quick, rotating my right arm (im a lefty). Worked on that to correct it...

After doing some drills for that, got filmed again. Backswing looked real good, in fact I am more flexible than I thought in that I got a full shoulder turn and club (6I) back to parallel with good extension, good weight shift into the inside part of the back leg. Really loaded up well..

Then it all went to crap. On the downswing, my weight stayed right there on the back and I scooped the ball. Hips didnt pivot or move. It was uuugggllly. Im sure had I had a grain flow Mizuno it would have been better (for you Omen) but my POS Cobra FP graphite just sucked. The follow thru and finish was a horrible attempt at acting like a real finish...

Since it is fukking cold in Ohio (and Im not buying grain flow Mizunos) are there any simple drills to work on inside at moving off the back leg and into the front to initiate the downswing?

One thing my instructor noted. He had me swing the club like a baseball player (which I was in college) and he taped that. Perfect movement back and thru simulating contact. WTF? I can do it in baseball but not golf? (and no "stick to baseball" comments either.LOL. Wish I could have. F*kking rotator cuff didnt cooperate)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 01-25-2008 at 11:22 AM.

I had a lesson at Golf Galaxy late last year. The video analysis showed that I was releasing the clubhead too early in my downswing, and I was essentially adding 5 degrees of loft by the time I made contact. There were also issues with my setup and grip pressure. We worked on quite a bit in 30 minutes.

I've been visiting the range weekly and working on my swing, and I've never felt better about it. One thing I've been focusing on is "busting my hips" (a term we used in baseball) when I'm near the top of my backswing (kinda like Ernie Els). Busting the hips almost seems to automatically shift my weight.
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer7770
    Busting the hips

Elaborate. What does this mean. I played collegiate ball so I am pretty fluid when swinging the Eastons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Elaborate. What does this mean. I played collegiate ball so I am pretty fluid when swinging the Eastons.
    When you swing a baseball bat, you turn your hips before the arms start swinging through. Does that make more sense?

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer7770
    When you swing a baseball bat, you turn your hips before the arms start swinging through. Does that make more sense?
    Sure it does. In baseball as the arms go back to load them up, you step and drive your hips forward. Only in baseball you step towards the pitcher (or at least I did). The golf swing you dont step so Im missing that 'trigger' I guess. Need the trigger. Can you buy one (other than a grain flow mizuno)? lol

Thanks!

daveperk Guest
    LOL. Im not gonna put it up here buy WOW was a shocked at the crap downswing I had. Had a lesson at GolfGalaxy recently. Backswing looked good but I tended to take the club too far inside and too quick, rotating my right arm (im a lefty). Worked on that to correct it...

After doing some drills for that, got filmed again. Backswing looked real good, in fact I am more flexible than I thought in that I got a full shoulder turn and club (6I) back to parallel with good extension, good weight shift into the inside part of the back leg. Really loaded up well..

Then it all went to crap. On the downswing, my weight stayed right there on the back and I scooped the ball. Hips didnt pivot or move. It was uuugggllly. Im sure had I had a grain flow Mizuno it would have been better (for you Omen) but my POS Cobra FP graphite just sucked. The follow thru and finish was a horrible attempt at acting like a real finish...

Since it is fukking cold in Ohio (and Im not buying grain flow Mizunos) are there any simple drills to work on inside at moving off the back leg and into the front to initiate the downswing?

One thing my instructor noted. He had me swing the club like a baseball player (which I was in college) and he taped that. Perfect movement back and thru simulating contact. WTF? I can do it in baseball but not golf? (and no "stick to baseball" comments either.LOL. Wish I could have. F*kking rotator cuff didnt cooperate)

Thanks in advance.
    I too am left handed. I throw, bat, kick, box, everything is solid lefty.

Except golf. :-)

No great wisdom here, just started playing with my dad's clubs and he wasn't a lefty.

But it worked.

To this day, thirty years later, I cannot make contact with the ball if I try left handed clubs.

Whiff.

daveperk Guest
    Sure it does. In baseball as the arms go back to load them up, you step and drive your hips forward. Only in baseball you step towards the pitcher (or at least I did). The golf swing you dont step so Im missing that 'trigger' I guess. Need the trigger. Can you buy one (other than a grain flow mizuno)? lol

Thanks!
    Watch one of the six million videos of Tiger's swing in slomo on YouTube and you'll see his hips are driving and spinning back out even as his shoulders are still winding back to finish the backswing.. his torso gets some major twisting in his swing...

His shoulders go back past 90 to about 110 degrees, but his hips have only gone back to 45 degrees and are already spinning back out toward zero even as his shoulders are still going back.. I can hear my own tendons ripping and vertebrae fracturing just from WATCHING it.

But no, there's no lift and step of foot to trigger the whole deal.. :-) it's just pendulum rhythm...

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    But no, there's no lift and step of foot to trigger the whole deal.. :-) it's just pendulum rhythm...
    Exactly. No step. Just "busting your hips" or "driving your hips forward". Here's a link to Tiger's swing in slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnZE3IrHWk

Here's an interesting comparison of the swings of Ernie Els and Michelle Wie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7aIFplQfc
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

buy mizuno.... it will work itself out naturally... that is the celestial order, thus it shall always remain true

O

one thing to think about is getting/ having two cheeks at impact as opposed to one.

i dont want to type that sermon so if you are curious just do a quick search. it's definitely on GR somewhere and all over cyberspace.

all pros are two cheeked most amateurs are one. that's why the pros hit their 9 past your 7

btw Omen is a two cheeker.... you can run with this little morsel if you want.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    buy mizuno.... it will work itself out naturally... that is the celestial order, thus it shall always remain true

O

one thing to think about is getting/ having two cheeks at impact as opposed to one.

i dont want to type that sermon so if you are curious just do a quick search. it's definitely on GR somewhere and all over cyberspace.

all pros are two cheeked most amateurs are one. that's why the pros hit their 9 past your 7

btw Omen is a two cheeker.... you can run with this little morsel if you want.
    I'm sorry, but whether you keep your cheeks together or spread apart is not a visual I care to contemplate......
    I'm having enough trouble containing my overwhelming gay instincts, since I've been seduced by hybrids and cavity backs......
    What's next in the ruin some call "my 'life' "? An offset driver? Pink shafts? Head covers in the shape of cutesy animals? Cart covers?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Name:  GolfHeadCoverKangSYresized.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  13.2 KB

THIS DEFINITELY SCREAMS "I AM SASSY"

should really compliment your current setup.

O
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

daveperk Guest
    Well, helloooo, kitty.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    "Busting the hips" Elaborate. What does this mean.
    In Lehman's terms, it's a generic, overly-used, expression to represent a normal night of me spending "quality time" with Cargo Putter's mom.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    In Lehman's terms, it's a generic, overly-used, expression to represent a normal night of me spending "quality time" with Cargo Putter's mom.
    I thought the expression for that was venereal roulette.

Put a towel under the outside 1/2 your back foot...or 2x4 or something. This way it forces you to move the weight off of your back foot when you swing. Some people just step up onto the board or towel and can't get the feel but it's supposed to give you feedback because it feels awkward having a board under the outside 1/2 of your foot. If you shift your weight properly there will be very little to no weight on that foot so you won't notice the object.

Watching videos of my own swing I generate a tremendous amount of clubhead speed with the resistance between my shoulders and hips. As Tiger does, my hips start towards the ball when my shoulders are still barely moving back. I try to tell people you should feel stretching in your abs, lats, and rib area throughout most of your golf swing. This means you're generating power. I think of myself as a rubber band being wound up. Keep the lower body mostly still, and when my shoulders are fully turned (actually just a split second before) I start the down swing. This makes my shoulders/hands/arms race to catch up and my hips/legs are helping to pull them through because they're a bit ahead of my shoulders. It almost feels like, from the top of my swing, I'm doing no work...the club just drops and the resistance and tension pull me through. I don't feel like I'm swinging the club. I'm just rotating and the club is following along.

Buy an impact bag (or fill something with old towels) ($25) this will help you get used to releasing and generating clubhead speed if you lack in that area.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Put a towel under the outside 1/2 your back foot...or 2x4 or something. This way it forces you to move the weight off of your back foot when you swing. Some people just step up onto the board or towel and can't get the feel but it's supposed to give you feedback because it feels awkward having a board under the outside 1/2 of your foot. If you shift your weight properly there will be very little to no weight on that foot so you won't notice the object. Good luck!
    Thanks. I tried this using one of those little wedges that keep a door open. Put it under the outside of my back foot, so that my back foot was already "leaning" forward. This was easy to get used to for me, and after about 1/2 the bucket I kicked it out and tried it w/out. It also helps me if I kinda "lean" my back leg in a little from the start. It puts the weight over the inside of my back leg on takeaway and it helps me push off on the downswing. Make sense?

Thread Information