|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Powerbilt clubs

Powerbilt clubs

Hi out there, I am a novice but completely hooked golfer.I have tried quite a few different sets of club,some new,some preloved,by far the sweetest set have been Powerbilt TPS with frequency modulated high modulus graphite shafts by UST USA. They do ndt seem to be a big name brand but are well balanced and very forgiving.The question I ask is would anyone know about how old they might be.The driver has a 400 head.
    thanks
    Peter

Hi Golfshooter

Welcome to GR

Not sure about the age of the clubs but Powerbilt are a very good brand and I think the TPS model was only out 2-3 years ago.

They may not be one of the big brands but they are very good clubs and are ideal for a relative beginner like yourself.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

From the looks of your avatar, they were out about two children ago . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    BA BA BOOM!!, welcome to GR......

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Look for the serial number on the six iron's hosel and write to, call, or e-mail the Hillerich and Bradsby company.

They USED to be a major brand. My first new set were PowerBilt Citations back in 1959. It's the company that makes Louisville Slugger baseball bats.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    Look for the serial number on the six iron's hosel and write to, call, or e-mail the Hillerich and Bradsby company.

They USED to be a major brand. My first new set were PowerBilt Citations back in 1959. It's the company that makes Louisville Slugger baseball bats.
    Damn you ARE old!

Smile Happy

Good to be part of the forum! Thanks for your help guys.Any more gladly accepted
    Peter

I had a Powerbilt persimmon 'matched set' of woods, 1-3-5, back when everybody who was anybody carried matched sets of woods and if you didn't, it meant you were dirt poor and playing with leftover castoff trash can clubs. The woods had three brass 'dots' across the middle of the plastic insert in the face.

I never played their irons, but the woods had a marvelous reputation and they were sweet.

This was back in the day when a well struck balata titleist would, if you were lucky, go down the fairway about 265 yards. I am now twenty three years older, much fatter and in much worse shape, and 265 is now my CARRY.

I see pros on TV carry it three hundred plus sometimes.. and I remember Greg Norman being the longest driver on tour by averaging around 280, back around 1989 or so..

equipment is amazing. Makes the game worth playing, for me..

speaking of powerbilt.. saw a TV ad today for a new set of Powerbilt metal woods that are stuffed full of 150 psi of nitrogen. their marketing jazz is, because the head is full of gas, they can make the face thinner without it collapsing, and the spring effect is thus somehow magically contributing to hitting the ball 20 yards farther off the tee.

Until I see it tested by an independent lab, I'm just not buying it. Not only that, but is this legal?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    equipment is amazing. Makes the game worth playing, for me..
    I know what you mean. I find I can't play without it.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I hope your game is in the same form as your searing wit! And what's with the surfing? post, obscure comedy, but I liked it!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

At times, when writing for web, I find myself abbreviating my words for the sake of an easier typing job. I leave out personal pronouns, and if the context of a point I am making is abundantly clear in the previous paragraph I may now and then abbreviate contextual repetition, such as "TODAY"S NEW equipment is amazing."

then again, you could play with equipment that wasn't amazing, so your point is equally abstruse. :-)

tough crowd, I gotta tell ya, tough crowd..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Nitrogen pressurization is a relatively old concept. Companies have been doing it for years with softball bats. IDK if it will add 20 yds to your drives but it does make the sweet spot on a bat about 25% larger. By that logic it will make more of the club face reactive and and add yardage to off center hits. I am curious to see how well the ports stay sealed and how long the polymer bladder in the club head lasts. The bladder has to be injected after the head is brazed together so there is no way to guarantee surface area uniformity throughout the club head.

I would assume that this has been approved by the USGA and Fuzzy Zoeller is using them which leads to another question: How much tournament golf is Fuzzy playing these days?
    Last edited by bigpun1974; 01-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.

If I get to the course and have forgotten my equipment, I just go ahead and pay the green fees, then go back to my car and mentally play the course. Like most people on internet boards, this is how I get my 330 yard drives, holed out eagles, and rounds in the 60's.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    If I get to the course and have forgotten my equipment, I just go ahead and pay the green fees, then go back to my car and mentally play the course. Like most people on internet boards, this is how I get my 330 yard drives, holed out eagles, and rounds in the 60's.
    That would be a great pre shot routine similar to NAH's. You're bound to go low the following week.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick

There is no serial number on the hosel, but there is another lightning bolt under the numbers of the nine and six irons. Haven't found any contact for Hillerich and Bradsby but I am computer challenged! If I sweet talk my wife she may just help me

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    FYI - My avatar is of my grandchildren;
    Curtis 10
    Talon 3
    Ashton 2
    Shyan 18 months
    Ethan 10 months
    And number 6 in production! and I turn 50 in June

Quote Originally Posted by golfshooter
    There is no serial number on the hosel, but there is another lightning bolt under the numbers of the nine and six irons. Haven't found any contact for Hillerich and Bradsby but I am computer challenged! If I sweet talk my wife she may just help me
    Go to http://www.ironfinder.com and you may be able to find which model by looking through the powerbilt listings. When you click on a model, they are listed by year produced; you will see a picture of the head displayed.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

golfshooter, do your TPS irons have a number on them?

TPS have had numerous models (all the way to 9.0 I believe). I have had the 6.0 and 7.0 models in the past, and I found them to be very underrated clubs. The 6.0 in particular were far superior to other OEM cast CB clubs like Ping and Cally. I like my current cubs more than the powerbilts, but I still regret selling the set of 7.0's I had. They are very solidly built too, mine stayed in good nick despite how badly I treated them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Go to http://www.ironfinder.com and you may be able to find which model by looking through the powerbilt listings. When you click on a model, they are listed by year produced; you will see a picture of the head displayed.

Thanks for the link! Found them!
    Peter

re: Novice Player & Powerbilt Irons

Golfshooter: As you get better, you're going to want to play musclebacks, and Powerbilt put out some of the best musclebacks ever, On EBAY right now, there's an auction, with 4 days left, for a set of unplayed 1986 Powerbilt Citations. This era was probably the sweet spot for forged iron manufacturing, and the '86's are as good as anything any other manufacturer has ever made, including Mizuno. (plus, they have a slight flange, i.e. weighted sole, which I not only find aesthetically pleasing but which also provides a little help for the handicap player. I estimate the auction will be won at about $140. I believe you'll find that many of the shovel-users you play with will be quite envious.

Thread Information