|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Royal Troon
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    17

    Winter Equipment Suggestions

    Howdy everyone,

    It is getting cold up here in the northeastern United States, which is perfect for hockey and football, but not so much for golf. With that said, equipment adjustments have to be made. I usually go with a soft two piece (compromise some spin control for better distance) and play a 19-20 degree wood or hybrid in lieu of my 2 and 3 irons (and toss in the gap wedge over my lob wedge). I go with more distance clubs in the winter given that my swing is a little more restricted being bundled up or just having the muscles be a little tighter because of the cold. The 2 and 3 irons require me to make a full rotation in order to hit them pure and consistently, whereas a hybrid of lofted wood allows me not to make as robust of a swing.

    In winters past, I would not use gloves and just keep my hands warm in my pockets. However, I think I should invest in some witner gloves. Are there any decent ones out there that keep you warm but you dont lose much touch on the grips?
    Last edited by connecticutter; 11-19-2009 at 06:35 AM.
    WitB 2010:

    Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

    Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    Howdy everyone,

    It is getting cold up here in the northeastern United States, which is perfect for hockey and football, but not so much for golf. With that said, equipment adjustments have to be made. I usually go with a soft two piece (compromise some spin control for better distance) and play hybrids or woods over the 2 and 3 irons. In winters past, I would not use gloves and just keep my hands warm in my pockets. However, I think I should invest in some witner gloves. Are there any decent ones out there that keep you warm but you dont lose much touch on the grips?
    I would suggest a good quality set of latex dish gloves and the new D2 Diva balls.....You won't be disappointed!
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,189
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    Howdy everyone,

    It is getting cold up here in the northeastern United States, which is perfect for hockey and football, but not so much for golf. With that said, equipment adjustments have to be made. I usually go with a soft two piece (compromise some spin control for better distance) and play hybrids or woods over the 2 and 3 irons. In winters past, I would not use gloves and just keep my hands warm in my pockets. However, I think I should invest in some witner gloves. Are there any decent ones out there that keep you warm but you dont lose much touch on the grips?
    Three Winter musts:

    1.) Low compression balls (Ladies' balls are the best, and I prefer Precept or Callaway Pearl).

    2.) Footjoy winter gloves. Warm and good feel.

    3.) A thick pair of hunting socks. If your feet get cold, your day will be miserable. No one is going to be looking at your socks so don't worry about fashion here, just go with the warmth.

    I also like to wear a good solid polar base layer. This will give you ample warmth but will allow you to throw on less for overgarments so your clothing doesn't bother your swing. Obviously, Under Armor probably makes the best base layers for winter, but you can also find some cheaper brands out there that will likely be just as good. I like to wear my Mizuno and Adidas pullovers that have a layer of fleece. These pullovers are not bulky so they allow me good movement with my swing, but the fleece gives me the added warmth I need against wind and temperatures. My bottom pants are a good pair of wind pants (I like Adidas and NIKE). These wind pants block the wind so that my base layer can heat.


    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    3.) A thick pair of hunting socks. If your feet get cold, your day will be miserable. No one is going to be looking at your socks so don't worry about fashion here, just go with the warmth.
    Sorry Sooner, but this is terrible advice. I would never compromise style over comfort on the golf course (or anywhere). You might be able to get away with hunting socks on the garbage munis you frequent, but the prestigious tracks I call home would never allow for anything less than tailored slacks and silk shirts, regardless of temperature. It's a small price to pay for looking awesome year round.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Sorry Sooner, but this is terrible advice. I would never compromise style over comfort on the golf course (or anywhere). You might be able to get away with hunting socks on the garbage munis you frequent, but the prestigious tracks I call home would never allow for anything less than tailored slacks and silk shirts, regardless of temperature. It's a small price to pay for looking awesome year round.
    Superb GR advice and may i add that using tarts balls compromises what little integrity you may have left Sooner. Man up.

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    The concession we make to winter around here is slacks instead of shorts.
    GR lives...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,189
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Sorry Sooner, but this is terrible advice. I would never compromise style over comfort on the golf course (or anywhere). You might be able to get away with hunting socks on the garbage munis you frequent, but the prestigious tracks I call home would never allow for anything less than tailored slacks and silk shirts, regardless of temperature. It's a small price to pay for looking awesome year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgey
    Superb GR advice and may i add that using tarts balls compromises what little integrity you may have left Sooner. Man up.

    Edgey
    I would expect nothing less from you guys . . . . . please carry on . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  8. #8

    Talking A Cad

    I agree with being warm and comfortable. Enjoyment is crucial to kicking one's tail out of the house and onto the course. Horseballs must be a dastardly cad to go with style over function. I think he will have a hard time extracting tongue from cheek.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by researchnut
    I agree with being warm and comfortable. Enjoyment is crucial to kicking one's tail out of the house and onto the course. Horseballs must be a dastardly cad to go with style over function. I think he will have a hard time extracting tongue from cheek.
    I wear an Under Armour outfit under my clothes. It kind of like long underwear but it's a high tech material that wicks away moisture. It's all black and shiny. If it gets warm I can just take off my outer clothes and wear only the Under Armour skintight outfit. That's when everyone shouts "no wonder he hits the ball so far, look at that physique!!".

    One more thing, if you played Ping Eye 2's you wouldn't have to find replacement clubs during the winter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I wear an Under Armour outfit under my clothes. It kind of like long underwear but it's a high tech material that wicks away moisture. It's all black and shiny. If it gets warm I can just take off my outer clothes and wear only the Under Armour skintight outfit. That's when everyone shouts "no wonder he hits the ball so far, look at that physique!!".

    One more thing, if you played Ping Eye 2's you wouldn't have to find replacement clubs during the winter.
    FD's winter outfit.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruno_1_143.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	2268
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I wear an Under Armour outfit under my clothes. It kind of like long underwear but it's a high tech material that wicks away moisture. It's all black and shiny. If it gets warm I can just take off my outer clothes and wear only the Under Armour skintight outfit. That's when everyone shouts "no wonder he hits the ball so far, look at that physique!!".

    Followed by uncontrollable laughter I presume.
    GR lives...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Glad I just got the biceps, back and shoulders lasered and not the forearms or legs.
    GR lives...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    FD's winter outfit.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruno_1_143.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	2268
    Hey, that's pretty close except that the clothing isn't tight enough.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Glad I just got the biceps, back and shoulders lasered and not the forearms or legs.
    During the summer months I shave my arms and legs to get better swing speed, not that I need it. I find that I increase my swing speed from 125 to 129. Next summer I'm going to make it easier by going to this new European Waxing Salon that opened in a local shopping center.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    During the summer months I shave my arms and legs to get better swing speed, not that I need it. I find that I increase my swing speed from 125 to 129. Next summer I'm going to make it easier by going to this new European Waxing Salon that opened in a local shopping center.

    Get them to give you a quote on your bikini waxing before they see the goods and what they're up against, if you're anything like me.
    GR lives...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    During the summer months I shave my arms and legs to get better swing speed, not that I need it. I find that I increase my swing speed from 125 to 129. Next summer I'm going to make it easier by going to this new European Waxing Salon that opened in a local shopping center.
    If you get a Brazilian would that influence swing speed in the same way epilating your legs has?

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    During the summer months I shave my arms and legs to get better swing speed, not that I need it. I find that I increase my swing speed from 125 to 129. Next summer I'm going to make it easier by going to this new European Waxing Salon that opened in a local shopping center.
    Name:  asian dudes SMALL.JPEG.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  45.6 KB..............
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Name:  asian dudes SMALL.JPEG.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  45.6 KB..............
    There is nothing wrong with waxing or shaving your entire body. It feels silky smooth and compliments my silky smooth swing. I will do anything to improve my golf game and will use any edge I can. Let scoffers scoff.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    There is nothing wrong with waxing or shaving your entire body. It feels silky smooth and compliments my silky smooth swing. I will do anything to improve my golf game and will use any edge I can. Let scoffers scoff.
    I admire this statement and can certainly empathise, but your use of POS hacksticks like Ping Eye 2's seems incongruant with it.

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Get them to give you a quote on your bikini waxing before they see the goods and what they're up against, if you're anything like me.
    I am 50% Italian (dirty southern), so I can relate.
    My wife is disgusted by my feet and keeps asking me to go get a pedicure. No matter what the tip, I could never force another person, even the Charlies who run those places, to give me a pedicure.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I am 50% Italian (dirty southern), so I can relate.
    My wife is disgusted by my feet and keeps asking me to go get a pedicure. No matter what the tip, I could never force another person, even the Charlies who run those places, to give me a pedicure.
    My last g.f. did it for me with no training. My current potential has had training so I'm hoping for some freebies. I'd never ever pay for it either that would be so fuking gay. But I don't mind gettting free service.
    GR lives...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    There is nothing wrong with waxing or shaving your entire body. It feels silky smooth and compliments my silky smooth swing. I will do anything to improve my golf game and will use any edge I can. Let scoffers scoff.
    Ass waxing can be kind of tricky. If you're into that sort of thing. One of our infrequent members is an expert. But then you already know that.
    GR lives...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Ass waxing can be kind of tricky. If you're into that sort of thing. One of our infrequent members is an expert. But then you already know that.
    That is one the funniest f.ucking posts I've read......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Ass waxing can be kind of tricky. If you're into that sort of thing. One of our infrequent members is an expert. But then you already know that.
    Loz

    He is always here, every minute of every day, 24/7

    In fact i could be him.....................

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Loz

    He is always here, every minute of every day, 24/7

    In fact i could be him.....................

    Edgey
    Just trying to protect your cover, mate.
    GR lives...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Just trying to protect your cover, mate.
    Thanks mate, i have thoroughly pumped myself for information and established i am not him.

    Just checking, your not him are you??

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Thanks mate, i have thoroughly pumped myself for information and established i am not him.

    Just checking, your not him are you??

    Edgey
    I'm not sure. I know I can channel him. He could just be me channeling him.

    Not all of my personalities have met each other.
    GR lives...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Not all of my personalities have met each other.
    Have you ever met NAG?

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Have you ever met NAG?

    Edgey
    Sure. But I haven't seen him since I got the restraining order on him. Just after I caught him holding a video camera and masturbating in the bushes outside my window. That fat pig.
    GR lives...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Sure. But I haven't seen him since I got the restraining order on him. Just after I caught him holding a video camera and masturbating in the bushes outside my window. That fat pig.
    F UCKING DIRTY GERMAN BASTARDS!!

    That is gross, did you get the video................................?

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    F UCKING DIRTY GERMAN BASTARDS!!

    That is gross, did you get the video................................?

    Edgey
    I did but he'd already streamed it back to Germany. It's now almost as popular over there as sauerkraut. It makes me sick. How can anyone eat freakin' sauerkraut? And how can they possibly share a border with Italia?

    At least you have the channel separating you from the little guys.
    GR lives...

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I did but he'd already streamed it back to Germany. It's now almost as popular over there as sauerkraut. It makes me sick. How can anyone eat freakin' sauerkraut? And how can they possibly share a border with Italia?

    At least you have the channel separating you from the little guys.
    So where does that leave

    France
    Switzerland
    Austria
    Slovenia
    San Marino
    Vatican City

    Are they all bastards too

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    So where does that leave

    France
    Switzerland
    Austria
    Slovenia
    San Marino
    Vatican City

    Are they all bastards too

    Edgey
    Well, you could certainly argue the ones in the Vatican are the true bastards. The others are harmless by comparison.
    GR lives...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    I occassionally wear a singlet in winter if it get's real cold when I tee off, but usually take off by the end of the first nine (I stratearly so it can be cold on the first tee). And I sometimes wear long slacks instead of shorts, but's that's more of a fashion statement than a practical necessity. Personally I'd rather be freezing cold than poorly attired. In golf, style is everything, comfort is for sissys.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Driver for the winter
    By edgey in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 05:04 AM
  2. Winter Vacations?
    By Horseballs in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 06:11 AM
  3. Winter Golf
    By Thomas J in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 04:25 PM
  4. winter practice
    By crimdog in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •