|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Scotty?

Which Scotty?

I am going to get a Scotty Cameron so that I have competition for my Rossa Ghost. The thing is I stopped putting with the anser type blade putters a while back and prefer mallet types now.

Do I therefore go for the Squareback 1 or the Fastback 1.5?

Discuss.

Pottsy

Something you will learn in time is that on GR ANY Scotty Cameron is simply unacceptable. Bagging the Squareback 1 or the Fastback 1.5 makes no difference. Both make you Brokeback Mountain fodder. i.e. bagging any SC putter on GR makes you gay.

Glad I could help. If you need further info NAH is the GR authority on this subject.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Pottsy

Something you will learn in time is that on GR ANY Scotty Cameron is simply unacceptable. Bagging the Squareback 1 or the Fastback 1.5 makes no difference. Both make you Brokeback Mountain fodder. i.e. bagging any SC putter on GR makes you gay.

Glad I could help. If you need further info NAH is the GR authority on this subject.
    So I guess you are saying that once a buy an SC (which I will) I should also purchase a checky shirt and a cowboy hat with which I get a free bowl of soup???

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy
    So I guess you are saying that once a buy an SC (which I will) I should also purchase a checky shirt and a cowboy hat with which I get a free bowl of soup???
    Perhaps it is hypocritical of me to say so but clothing/golfing attire dosen't seem to be your strong suit,so a checky shirt and cowboy hat may be something to stay away from.
    You must be pretty new here to start a thread on scotty camerons; especially buying one. If you do a bit of a search you will find out the GR dictates in this regard. Some of note around here have bagged them; Lorenzo did for a time before he saw the error of his ways and repented. As Kiwi says NAH has some opinions on camerons. I'm sure you have provided him with a platform to air those opinions with this thread.
    We will all eagerly await what he has to say. Needless to say I am not sure he will approve of your little plan and may try to set your mind right.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Perhaps it is hypocritical of me to say so but clothing/golfing attire dosen't seem to be your strong suit,so a checky shirt and cowboy hat may be something to stay away from.
    You must be pretty new here to start a thread on scotty camerons; especially buying one. If you do a bit of a search you will find out the GR dictates in this regard. Some of note around here have bagged them; Lorenzo did for a time before he saw the error of his ways and repented. As Kiwi says NAH has some opinions on camerons. I'm sure you have provided him with a platform to air those opinions with this thread.
    We will all eagerly await what he has to say. Needless to say I am not sure he will approve of your little plan and may try to set your mind right.
    It was my vacation and I had little else clean that day haha ;-)

I am happy to read anyone's opinion re: Scotty Cameron putters but you should know that I subscribe to this forum for a laugh and an insight into some new ideas. I am pretty opinionated as the guys I played with in FL will likely tell you so I'll go ahead and bag what I want anyhow ;-)

I know most on here hate callaway but I bag those too

Scotty Cameron's are ok, if you are into cheap chinese sweat shop Ping kock offs. I know you are thinking non Anser style Scottys, but they are no doubt forgerys of some other OEM. In all seriousness I have hit Scotty putters and they are harsh feeling pieces of crap, I really can't see what all the fuss is about. Scotty Cameron's business model is simple. Get a mass produced knock off of an OEM made in a chinese factory, put some paint on it, make a fancy cover, and put a price tag higher than any other putter and the gullible masses will flock to buy them thinking thye must be good to justify the price. IMO they are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to boutique putters. Bettinardi, TP Mills, Slighter, Tad Moore and Kevin Burns are all more desireable than a Scotty.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Scotty Cameron's are ok, if you are into cheap chinese sweat shop Ping kock offs. I know you are thinking non Anser style Scottys, but they are no doubt forgerys of some other OEM. In all seriousness I have hit Scotty putters and they are harsh feeling pieces of crap, I really can't see what all the fuss is about. Scotty Cameron's business model is simple. Get a mass produced knock off of an OEM made in a chinese factory, put some paint on it, make a fancy cover, and put a price tag higher than any other putter and the gullible masses will flock to buy them thinking thye must be good to justify the price. IMO they are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to boutique putters. Bettinardi, TP Mills, Slighter, Tad Moore and Kevin Burns are all more desireable than a Scotty.
    Thanks NAH very constructive. I likw TP Mills but they are difficult to get here I think. I'll check Slighter out as I havent actually heard of them.

Thanks NAH very constructive. I likw TP Mills but they are difficult to get here I think. I'll check Slighter out as I havent actually heard of them.
    I've never actually hit a Slighter but they get a fair bit of buzz. But I would be a little cautious as they seem to have sopied the Scotty business plan and are popular with the impressionable juniors. If you want GR street cred get an old Bettinardi. Bettinardi is old school class and quality, and GR is nothing if not a golfing purist snobatorium.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've never actually hit a Slighter but they get a fair bit of buzz. But I would be a little cautious as they seem to have sopied the Scotty business plan and are popular with the impressionable juniors. If you want GR street cred get an old Bettinardi. Bettinardi is old school class and quality, and GR is nothing if not a golfing purist snobatorium.
    The thing is NAH I couldn't be less bothered about GR Street cred! Trying to be as polite as poss there are a load of people on here who play clubs that are way to difficult for them to use as they are just not good.

Anyhew, I checked out the websites and don't like any of the Slighters or TP Mills putters on there. I know Bettinardi brough some pretty top end mizuno putters out a while back though?

The thing is NAH I couldn't be less bothered about GR Street cred! Trying to be as polite as poss there are a load of people on here who play clubs that are way to difficult for them to use as they are just not good.

Anyhew, I checked out the websites and don't like any of the Slighters or TP Mills putters on there. I know Bettinardi brough some pretty top end mizuno putters out a while back though?
    Sunset Beach Golf putters, Machine putters, Edelgolf putters.

Give those a try before you go down the Cameron route. Or when in doubt, I have a Studio Stainless and a Studio Series Newport 2 that I could sell you lol
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Oh. What a major disappointment. By the looks of the title, I thought we were going to be discussing a Star Trek episode or two. I didn't know it was going to be about some "pice of crap" putter that is way overpriced.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Sunset Beach Golf putters, Machine putters, Edelgolf putters.

Give those a try before you go down the Cameron route. Or when in doubt, I have a Studio Stainless and a Studio Series Newport 2 that I could sell you lol
    Mward, I will check those out thanks.

How much for the newport? haha.

GR members are so bothered about price!!

No wonder you guys are always scratting around the second hand bins in Golf Galaxy etc...

GR members are so bothered about price!!

No wonder you guys are always scratting around the second hand bins in Golf Galaxy etc...
    The Golf Galaxy second hand bins have some great steals in em, don't knock it too much. The putter I used was a 40 dollar putter that I got for 0 after I traded a Rife 2 bar heads up.

I'll take pics of both, see if you like either one. They're both 33in though, fyi.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Just got a Ping Anser JAS W Ti.

Best looking Anser I have ever seen and beautiful to putt with. It was silly money in it's day but cheap now. Couldn't be happier :-)

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

The Golf Galaxy second hand bins have some great steals in em, don't knock it too much. The putter I used was a 40 dollar putter that I got for 0 after I traded a Rife 2 bar heads up.

I'll take pics of both, see if you like either one. They're both 33in though, fyi.
    I just get wound up when people talk about price - if it's your life's passion go nuts!

Very much like Sunset Beach Putters.

I just get wound up when people talk about price - if it's your life's passion go nuts!

I agree, but there's no damn way I'm dropping some of the money people do on Circle T Scotty Cameron putters. Merchandise show, there was a 10,000 putter. Are you friggin kidding me? Is it guaranteed to make every putt within 20 feet? Will it service me as I stand over it to putt?

Sunset's are really nice looking. Don't see the mallet kind though. The Lola and Lola2 are beautiful looking.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

I guess one of the reasons that Scotty is so reviled here, is that he doesn't actually do anything. I mean, he doesn't have a machine shop where he makes putters or anything. He just keeps making a variation of the same thing, and that same thing was designed by someone else. He slightly tweaks an Anser putter, mills the face and has new graphics put on. If Scotty has a genius, it's marketing.

For real, some of the Cleveland Classic series are the exact same thing. Anser style, milled face, soft steel, and they run from $35 used to under $100 brand new. I owned a Scotty for a while and in a blind test, I couldn't tell you that it felt or performed any better than most any other similarly styled putter. If you want one simply because you want one then I say go for it. If you're looking for one because you are looking for improvement in your game, don't bother. It's just not that special.
    I found a See More FGP on Ebay for $35 that has been one of the best putters I've played in a while. Also a Yes Tracy for under $60 via Ebay as well. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I agree, but there's no damn way I'm dropping some of the money people do on Circle T Scotty Cameron putters. Merchandise show, there was a 10,000 putter. Are you friggin kidding me? Is it guaranteed to make every putt within 20 feet? Will it service me as I stand over it to putt?

Sunset's are really nice looking. Don't see the mallet kind though. The Lola and Lola2 are beautiful looking.
    I like that putter (Lola) but I have had a beautiful mizuno one years ago which looked the same and I am not ashamed to admit that I found it tough to putt with! I am done with sticking with something JUST for aesthetic quality.

Oh I am with you on the Scotties which are over £1000 etc... Wowzas!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    I guess one of the reasons that Scotty is so reviled here, is that he doesn't actually do anything. I mean, he doesn't have a machine shop where he makes putters or anything. He just keeps making a variation of the same thing, and that same thing was designed by someone else. He slightly tweaks an Anser putter, mills the face and has new graphics put on. If Scotty has a genius, it's marketing.

For real, some of the Cleveland Classic series are the exact same thing. Anser style, milled face, soft steel, and they run from $35 used to under $100 brand new. I owned a Scotty for a while and in a blind test, I couldn't tell you that it felt or performed any better than most any other similarly styled putter. If you want one simply because you want one then I say go for it. If you're looking for one because you are looking for improvement in your game, don't bother. It's just not that special.
    I found a See More FGP on Ebay for $35 that has been one of the best putters I've played in a while. Also a Yes Tracy for under $60 via Ebay as well. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
    Ah man! I know the arrow/Indian stuff is right but we all like to look at something else once in a while!

I do however seriously like the See More putters! beautiful weight!

The Ping Redwood Piper model is a nice mallet that sets up very well. For the Scotty Camerons, I think the Red X models are the best looking mallets but I've heard from experts like NAH that they don't feel as good. Therefore, I'd recommend the fastback model. You will then be a member of that very strange group of people that covet and collect Cameron putters and who are willing to pay $75 just for a Cameron headcover.

Not that you'd ever belong to that group.

On another note, I was watching the OP vs. Kiwi video and I have a question for you all. This is not a dig on OP at all as I love the guy, but do you think it's OK to ask your opponent if your own putt is good? Isn't it up to your competitor to tell you if it's good? If you don't hear anything, shouldn't you just mark your ball until you hear otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    The Ping Redwood Piper model is a nice mallet that sets up very well. For the Scotty Camerons, I think the Red X models are the best looking mallets but I've heard from experts like NAH that they don't feel as good. Therefore, I'd recommend the fastback model. You will then be a member of that very strange group of people that covet and collect Cameron putters and who are willing to pay $75 just for a Cameron headcover.

On another note, I was watching the OP vs. Kiwi video and I have a question for you all. This is not a dig on OP at all as I love the guy, but do you think it's OK to ask your opponent if your own putt is good? Isn't it up to your competitor to tell you if it's good? If you don't hear anything, shouldn't you just mark your ball until you hear otherwise?
    Great question! Worthy of starting another thread???

What do you guys think of these babies?

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acata...lo_Putter.html

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acata...lo_Putter.html

I've never liked black putters with a white sight line. I prefer a putter to have a finish with little glare and a sight line that's blended in. The mallet putter I'm considering is the same one Luke Donald used to win the Accenture. It's the Black i series 7 model. I tried it in the store and loved it. I'm trying to get one on Ebay for under $100 brand new. Bettinardi also makes great mallets and there are deals on Ebay. I think Camerons feel the best but too expensive for what you get. They ding up and wear out fairly quick.

The See More FGP is the best putter as far as actual putting it is just ugly as sin. The gimick alignment scheme is fine but I do not even use it to align a putt. It is just a super super putter with tons of control and feel. Its just ugly as a 9 year old sheite setting a roadside bomb.

Oh, and the Cleveland Classic is just as good as the scotty...I tried mine side by side at the golf store, it even looks like the same material..that honey color... same feel same performance, I got mine (cleveland) for 79 bucks brand new from E. Watts golf. My only scotty is the gun blued steel/terrilium older model that is OK but kind of hard. Scotty wanted like $130 to "factory refinish and certify" so I told him to go Fck himself and I took out my steel wool, and my $5 gun blueing kit and did it myself. They told me that I could not get their certificate if I ever sent it to them in the future if I did that so I told them that I had plenty of toilet paper already.
    Last edited by jetdriver; 03-09-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

If there's no rule against it, it could be used as strategy/gamesmanship. If your opponent seems very genial and nonconfrontational, you might could get out of a few testers that way. Not that OP would do that. I don't know what the rules of putt concession are, but etiquette kind of takes a back seat in matchplay. As we all know, any intimidation etc........
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    If there's no rule against it, it could be used as strategy/gamesmanship. If your opponent seems very genial and nonconfrontational, you might could get out of a few testers that way. Not that OP would do that. I don't know what the rules of putt concession are, but etiquette kind of takes a back seat in matchplay. As we all know, any intimidation etc........
    I would just respond with "I'll let you know if the putt is good". Either that or just say nothing. If he picks up his ball he's lost the hole.

You are quite right there are no rules. Technically you can say "is this ok?2 every hole. Usually I will just go to mark it unless it is very close and then I will usually look or ask.

You are quite right there are no rules. Technically you can say "is this ok?2 every hole. Usually I will just go to mark it unless it is very close and then I will usually look or ask.
    Pottsy, this is a good point and that's basically what I saw OP do. The putt was so close and so obvious to be a gimmie that he asked Kiwi if it was good. Also, Kiwi wasn't really paying attention so it makes sense that he asked him if it was good. I was just using this as an example, not that OP did anything wrong.

I had a match one time with a guy who kept asking if his putts were good. He'd say "good, bad, indifferent?". After three holes of this I said "just putt everything out from here on". He got really upset about it and probably lost the match as a result. You can try gamesmanship but if you get put in your place you'll feel like a schmuck.

I would just respond with "I'll let you know if the putt is good". Either that or just say nothing. If he picks up his ball he's lost the hole.
    If you respond with, "I'll let you know when it's good." it would show that it got on your nerves. In response to your response, I would start asking if 10 footers were good. After awhile I would start asking if my approach shots were good after good drives. After I teed up my ball on par 3s I would say, "It's good, right? I've been really stripin' my irons today!"
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

What style of putter are you using now? I use a sort of Anser style Never Compromise that has a lovely feel to it.

I was in the market to buy a mallet style putter a short time ago and they had a load of Taylormade, Odyssey and Yes putters on special at my club. However one day I went to the club after practicing my putting in the lounge and left my putter at home so the pro loaned me a Black TM putter that looked similar to the 1st one you posted but it was silly expensive - like $500!!! The ones he had on special were only about $150.

I don't know why it was so expensive but long story short I didn't like it at all. Totally different feel to my normal putter and after about 6 holes I was really missing my own putter. Completely gave up on the idea of a new putter after that.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Pottsy, this is a good point and that's basically what I saw OP do. The putt was so close and so obvious to be a gimmie that he asked Kiwi if it was good. Also, Kiwi wasn't really paying attention so it makes sense that he asked him if it was good. I was just using this as an example, not that OP did anything wrong.

I had a match one time with a guy who kept asking if his putts were good. He'd say "good, bad, indifferent?". After three holes of this I said "just putt everything out from here on". He got really upset about it and probably lost the match as a result. You can try gamesmanship but if you get put in your place you'll feel like a schmuck.
    I was going to use the BPC Matchplay strategy of just swatting the putt away

- I concede putts by hitting the ball to them, not declaring, "That's good." I don't know why, but this just lets the guy know I'm not overly impressed with his shot/chip/putt.

But since OP was such a gentleman and I was his guest I felt that such tactics were inappropriate on the day.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The worst putter I have tried at the golf superstore is that new white thing with a donut in it. I think its a TM. That thing is just crap. The guy got really mad when I told him it really was a crap drop. That thing felt like a plastic toy.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    The worst putter I have tried at the golf superstore is that new white thing with a donut in it. I think its a TM. That thing is just crap. The guy got really mad when I told him it really was a crap drop. That thing felt like a plastic toy.
    Yeah sales guys really do get upset when you tell them their latest, greatest release is a POS.

I remember telling a Callaway sales guy that I thought that square FTi driver they released a few years back was an overpriced, tinny POS after demoing it. He took it really personally like I'd just insulted his mother.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If you respond with, "I'll let you know when it's good." it would show that it got on your nerves. In response to your response, I would start asking if 10 footers were good. After awhile I would start asking if my approach shots were good after good drives. After I teed up my ball on par 3s I would say, "It's good, right? I've been really stripin' my irons today!"
    Me saying "I'll let you know if it's good" is not gamemanship. I'm letting my opponent know that I'm aware of his putts and that if it's good I'll let him know and that it's not necessary to ask me. If he responded by asking if 10 footers were good I'd walk straight up to him and ask him to start acting like a gentleman and to respect the game. If he did it again I'd knock his fu.cking teeth out. There's slight gamesmanship and then their is outright taunting. If you taunt, you may get no response or you may get your teeth knocked out. I have a bad temper and so I choose the latter.

On a lighter note, I've never seen that happen. I've never played a match against anyone who openly tried to play mind games. That's what's great about golf.

Me saying "I'll let you know if it's good" is not gamemanship. I'm letting my opponent know that I'm aware of his putts and that if it's good I'll let him know and that it's not necessary to ask me. If he responded by asking if 10 footers were good I'd walk straight up to him and ask him to start acting like a gentleman and to respect the game. If he did it again I'd knock his fu.cking teeth out. There's slight gamesmanship and then their is outright taunting. If you taunt, you may get no response or you may get your teeth knocked out. I have a bad temper and so I choose the latter.

On a lighter note, I've never seen that happen. I've never played a match against anyone who openly tried to play mind games. That's what's great about golf.
    I'm going to be in SoCal next week. I was going to make a few inquiries about courses and such and maybe scare up a game.

After this post though, I think I'll just wing it alone.

I'm going to be in SoCal next week. I was going to make a few inquiries about courses and such and maybe scare up a game.

After this post though, I think I'll just wing it alone.
    I'm sure you're shaking in your boots!! Seriously, if you're in the SD area let me know. I'm playing this Sunday at Carlsbad Crossings and there may be an opening.

I'm sure you're shaking in your boots!! Seriously, if you're in the SD area let me know. I'm playing this Sunday at Carlsbad Crossings and there may be an opening.
    Yeah we're going to LA then SD. If you see a Boston-Irish man throwing up at an outdoor restaurant in Old Town, be sure to say "Hi!"

Haha that is my putter! Whilst I am looking for another to add to my collection I love the TM Rossa Ghost.

I was going to use the BPC Matchplay strategy of just swatting the putt away

- I concede putts by hitting the ball to them, not declaring, "That's good." I don't know why, but this just lets the guy know I'm not overly impressed with his shot/chip/putt.

But since OP was such a gentleman and I was his guest I felt that such tactics were inappropriate on the day.
    Plus if the guy you were playing wanted to he could claim the hole as you would technically be testing the greens by doing so.

Yeah we're going to LA then SD. If you see a Boston-Irish man throwing up at an outdoor restaurant in Old Town, be sure to say "Hi!"
    Not specific enough, I used to work there. At any given moment there are perhaps a dozen Boston Irishmen throwing up in Old Town. Back then the best restaurant there by far was Guadlajara Grill on the outskirts of OT. And while there's a little less vomiting there than In the middle of OT, it's Mexican food, you're always going to have vomiting.

By the way, since you're from AZ, from FD's perspective that makes you a Zonie. Zonie's are universally despised by San Diegans for how they drive and generally take up space.

FD, if you're not yet aware of this, check with anyone there, it's universal, particularly if you live in La Jolla. I think it's ok if he talks to you when you're not there.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Not specific enough, I used to work there. At any given moment there are perhaps a dozen Boston Irishmen throwing up in Old Town. Back then the best restaurant there by far was Guadlajara Grill on the outskirts of OT. And while there's a little less vomiting there than In the middle of OT, it's Mexican food, you're always going to have vomiting.

By the way, since you're from AZ, from FD's perspective that makes you a Zonie. Zonie's are universally despised by San Diegans for how they drive and generally take up space.

FD, if you're not yet aware of this, check with anyone there, it's universal, particularly if you live in La Jolla. I think it's ok if he talks to you when you're not there.
    Well no worries as I'll be swerving each and every one of you sonsabeetches while I'm there.

Alright, alright there was a bit of fun and gamesmanship going on in the match and perhaps it was was "against the spirit of the game" to ask for gimmes ( and they were tap ins) but if we had played with the steely eyed determination to dominate and take everything seriously it would have been a pretty dull day. I have played matchplay in interclub finals where i wouldn't have behaved in such a way. This was not one of those days. It was for fun and to enjoy the brotherhood and play in the GR matchplay way.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Alright, alright there was a bit of fun and gamesmanship going on in the match and perhaps it was was "against the spirit of the game" to ask for gimmes ( and they were tap ins) but if we had played with the steely eyed determination to dominate and take everything seriously it would have been a pretty dull day. I have played matchplay in interclub finals where i wouldn't have behaved in such a way. This was not one of those days. It was for fun and to enjoy the brotherhood and play in the GR matchplay way.
    Easy to say after you've slaughtered someone like that. I'm telling you, I nailed it before on OP having to struggle to keep his inner bastard contained.
    GR lives...

Easy to say after you've slaughtered someone like that. I'm telling you, I nailed it before on OP having to struggle to keep his inner bastard contained.
    Watch it Lorenzo or I will come to SoCal and come gunning for you.

I admit it, I'm afraid of you.
    GR lives...

OP, have you seen or played these irons before. I just saw these at the golf store and it's a set of Maxfli Australian Blades, 2-SW, with Dynamic Gold S-300 Sensicore shafts. I hit them and they felt wonderful. I would say the condition is 9/10. Faces are all smooth with deep/sharp grooves and only light bag chatter. Looks like they were played about 10 times. Going for $149.

Anyone try out or play these irons?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxfli.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	2633  

If you like them, might be hard to pass up if they're in great shape. Appears they were good enough to "inspire" these which you can have for about the same per as you'd be paying for the set. Tried to post photo of Titleist 690 MB but couldn't.

I'd suggest negotiating a discount but it's you.
    GR lives...

As much as I bang on about Scottys, they are not the worst putters out there. IMO TM has consistently made the worst feeling putters over the last 10 years or so. Every single TM putter I've ever hit feels absolutely awful, even the much hyped Kia Ma custom jobs. They make you feel like you are hitting Hot Dots instead of premium balls. The only putter which was remotely soft feeling was the Nubbins, but they had that stupid rubber dimple face insert which was inconsistent.

As much as I bang on about Scottys, they are not the worst putters out there. IMO TM has consistently made the worst feeling putters over the last 10 years or so. Every single TM putter I've ever hit feels absolutely awful, even the much hyped Kia Ma custom jobs. They make you feel like you are hitting Hot Dots instead of premium balls. The only putter which was remotely soft feeling was the Nubbins, but they had that stupid rubber dimple face insert which was inconsistent.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that they're a BAD putter, I'm saying that they're nothing special and certainly not worth the $$ they command. People get one and act like they just have to place the putter behind the ball and it will magically roll it's way to the hole. And the whole collector market is beyond retarded.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that they're a BAD putter, I'm saying that they're nothing special and certainly not worth the $$ they command. People get one and act like they just have to place the putter behind the ball and it will magically roll it's way to the hole. And the whole collector market is beyond retarded.
    I am saying Scottys are BAD putters, just not the absolute worst putters. I can honestly say that I wouldn't use a Scotty if it was a gift, let alone pay $500 for soemthing that will fuk my game. It's hilarious at big amatuer tourneys how many young kids are on the putting green with their shiny Scottys, and their Titelist hats, and Nike shirts, and footjoy shoes, and ProV1 balls. Golfers are a bunch of fukking sheep.

I am saying Scottys are BAD putters, just not the absolute worst putters. I can honestly say that I wouldn't use a Scotty if it was a gift, let alone pay $500 for soemthing that will fuk my game. It's hilarious at big amatuer tourneys how many young kids are on the putting green with their shiny Scottys, and their Titelist hats, and Nike shirts, and footjoy shoes, and ProV1 balls. Golfers are a bunch of fukking sheep.
    I play prov1 balls. I have yet to buy a new box of them. I picked up some used ones one day and I liked them. I have since always found more than I lose or cut. I played one round with one ball one day and lost it on the 18th hole, I probably would have found it but I was playing with my former brother in law and his wife so I did not want to look like a cheapskate.

OP, have you seen or played these irons before. I just saw these at the golf store and it's a set of Maxfli Australian Blades, 2-SW, with Dynamic Gold S-300 Sensicore shafts. I hit them and they felt wonderful. I would say the condition is 9/10. Faces are all smooth with deep/sharp grooves and only light bag chatter. Looks like they were played about 10 times. Going for $149.

Anyone try out or play these irons?
    Yes i have a set. The main thing to remember with this model is there were many incarnations of the same set; they had different numbers, designations and type of stamping of the name which differentiated the models. Basically the earlier ones are the ones to get. They were a higher quality forging. I think there was even a cast model in the later years of production. These models spanned more than a decade.
    As for playing them they are definately old school. Very small sweet spot and very harsh on misshits. They are really identical to play to most others in that catagory. Maxfli are underated and made some great clubs, if I was going oldschool blade i would go either Wilson or Macgregor.

Yes i have a set. The main thing to remember with this model is there were many incarnations of the same set; they had different numbers, designations and type of stamping of the name which differentiated the models. Basically the earlier ones are the ones to get. They were a higher quality forging. I think there was even a cast model in the later years of production. These models spanned more than a decade.
    As for playing them they are definately old school. Very small sweet spot and very harsh on misshits. They are really identical to play to most others in that catagory. Maxfli are underated and made some great clubs, if I was going oldschool blade i would go either Wilson or Macgregor.
    You are spot on OP. They made a model in the multilayer casting process used in the Revolution and in your favourite A10s. From all reports they were a very nice feeling blade, much like the Revo and A10 a softer feeling than a normal casting.

To me, putters are like going out and buying a tie for work -- the style, color and type are all according to personality tastes. It is hard for me to come out and say that one putter is a piece of crap and another putter is the best. For me, some putters fit my style of stroke and others do not. For the next guy, it may be the total opposite. I don't take a great stand, for or against, any type of putter. If someone wants to play Scotty Camerons then to each his own. I do think they could probably find a putter that would serve them just as well for a lot less money.

I know we could take the same stand on all golf equipment this way, but I don't. I actually do think that someone just learning the game of golf and is willing to put the time in on practicing, will benefit from playing player's clubs vs. a super GI type club head. I think I'll always have that stand because that is what made the great improvement in my game. (Cue Edgey bringing up the 97).

I play prov1 balls. I have yet to buy a new box of them. I picked up some used ones one day and I liked them. I have since always found more than I lose or cut. I played one round with one ball one day and lost it on the 18th hole, I probably would have found it but I was playing with my former brother in law and his wife so I did not want to look like a cheapskate.
    Jet, I'm very much the same way. I'll play new balls, balls I've found and will just keep playing the same one even if it has a scuff on it. Scuffs aren't bad, it's the little shreds caused by wedge grooves that lose all the distance. That's why I sold the Callaway X Forged with MD grooves. It shredded the ball and then I'd have to peel away the shredded pieces with my fingernail prior to hitting my next shot.

Thanks OP. The ones I tood a photo of are definitely the newer, non forged, model that's made of the same material as the Revolution. They felt great, but not forged. Nothing beats the feel of a forged Mizuno or Wilson Staff but these did feel very good, nontheless.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    To me, putters are like going out and buying a tie for work -- the style, color and type are all according to personality tastes. It is hard for me to come out and say that one putter is a piece of crap and another putter is the best. For me, some putters fit my style of stroke and others do not. For the next guy, it may be the total opposite. I don't take a great stand, for or against, any type of putter. If someone wants to play Scotty Camerons then to each his own. I do think they could probably find a putter that would serve them just as well for a lot less money.

I know we could take the same stand on all golf equipment this way, but I don't. I actually do think that someone just learning the game of golf and is willing to put the time in on practicing, will benefit from playing player's clubs vs. a super GI type club head. I think I'll always have that stand because that is what made the great improvement in my game. (Cue Edgey bringing up the 97).
    I totally agree. To me, the most important thing with a putter is how it looks to me at address. I don't like putters with the 90 degree bent hosel (like a Ping Anser). I like just a little offset and very simple design. One putter I'd like to try is a semi-mallet made by Odyssey that a lot of tour pros are using..the black series i #7. I wish they made the Cameron Kombie in a smaller model. I hate large mallets.

Jet, I'm very much the same way. I'll play new balls, balls I've found and will just keep playing the same one even if it has a scuff on it. Scuffs aren't bad, it's the little shreds caused by wedge grooves that lose all the distance. That's why I sold the Callaway X Forged with MD grooves. It shredded the ball and then I'd have to peel away the shredded pieces with my fingernail prior to hitting my next shot.
    What a bunch of cheapos! I do not begridge a penny I spend on golf because I worked damn hard to get to where I am and I earned every penny.

What a bunch of cheapos! I do not begridge a penny I spend on golf because I worked damn hard to get to where I am and I earned every penny.
    I'm with you. To highlight that, I make confetti out of real money to celebrate New Years. It's important to me.
    GR lives...

Yes, but you've proved that spending a lot of money on clothes doesn't necessarily improve your appearance.

I'm with you. To highlight that, I make confetti out of real money to celebrate New Years. It's important to me.
    Look I understand to waste money is just stupid but to buy something which will make you happy and that you will enjoy makes sense to me.

I play Pro V1x because I have tried all other premium balls and don't think they compare. Does it bother me that they are $50 a dozen? not really no. Hell I wish they were $10 but they arent.

Yes, but you've proved that spending a lot of money on clothes doesn't necessarily improve your appearance.
    Haha no that is true!! No clothes would help me though cos you can't bend aluminium my shape!! :-(

Haha no that is true!! No clothes would help me though cos you can't bend aluminium my shape!! :-(
    It wasn't your clothes or your shape. It was the complete outfit that I found a bit off.

It wasn't your clothes or your shape. It was the complete outfit that I found a bit off.
    I was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt after my first initial comment on it. He said that the true colors of the outfit did not come across well on camera. I'm a pretty forgiving guy once you know me. After all the discussion of late I am starting to come closer in touch with my feminine side. I'm even considering buying a Ricky Fowler type hat.

OK, that thought has now been discarded.

I am going to get a Scotty Cameron so that I have competition for my Rossa Ghost. The thing is I stopped putting with the anser type blade putters a while back and prefer mallet types now.

Do I therefore go for the Squareback 1 or the Fastback 1.5?

Discuss.
    Pottsy... a year ago I was able to 'feel' this SC putter at a private club that I played in South Carolina, it's heavy , feel balanced and expensive.... personnally, I don't think it's any better than my 20-yr old mid-size mallet RAM ZEBRA

That is fair enough but you have to factor in that you only take a limited amount of clothes on vacation and this was 10 days into my 14 day vacation so some clothes were already worn. I should have planned it better.

The shorts and the polo did actually match as the checks in the shorts were purple/maroon however you cannot really get this from photographs etc... Maybe the visor was a bad choice but when it is 85 degrees I don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Pottsy... a year ago I was able to 'feel' this SC putter at a private club that I played in South Carolina, it's heavy , feel balanced and expensive.... personnally, I don't think it's any better than my 20-yr old mid-size mallet RAM ZEBRA
    Which one? The Squareback?

It was my vacation and I had little else clean that day haha ;-)

I am happy to read anyone's opinion re: Scotty Cameron putters but you should know that I subscribe to this forum for a laugh and an insight into some new ideas. I am pretty opinionated as the guys I played with in FL will likely tell you so I'll go ahead and bag what I want anyhow ;-)

I know most on here hate callaway but I bag those too
    taking any advice you receive here seriously is also way gay. Play what you want. Defend your choices. You're already an insider. Flame away. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

That is fair enough but you have to factor in that you only take a limited amount of clothes on vacation and this was 10 days into my 14 day vacation so some clothes were already worn.
    I should have planned it better.

The shorts and the polo did actually match as the checks in the shorts were purple/maroon however you cannot really get this from photographs etc... Maybe the visor was a bad choice but when it is 85 degrees I don't care!
    Hold the phones. Really, wait just a minute. You're saying you were on the 10th day of a 14 day trip and you hadn't done any laundry? Ok, as someone who frequently travels for two weeks or more at a time, I've got more questions.

You packed 14 days of clothes? You brought alot of heavy patterned plaids and left yourself stuff that didn't match by day 10? You didn't think out in advance you were going to be videod and people you've never met around the world were going to give you s.hit about your clothes?

None of this is making sense to me, Pottsy. For crying out loud do a laundry. Are you still living with your mother?
    GR lives...

That is fair enough but you have to factor in that you only take a limited amount of clothes on vacation and this was 10 days into my 14 day vacation so some clothes were already worn. I should have planned it better.

Ahem, you wore checkered shorts with a horizontal-striped shirt. You also wore black ankle socks with white shoes. Then, to top it off, you wore a Callaway visor. This is all from my memory, which I hope is correct.

Personally, I think a more sporty look would look better on you. Something like solid off white shorts with a blue and white adidas shirt. The kind where the shirt is blue but it has white on the shoulders. White ankle socks and then a Nike has. Carry on.

Here's The Only Scottie You'll Ever Need

I have considered recycling my sheite turds for I am convinced that they still have plenty of nutrients in there.

When I see someone go through the trouble of listing something on e-bay for $10, I wonder whether their real objective is to accumulate personal data, maybe for identity theft.

In any event, you don't see alot of graffaloy shafts on putters.
    GR lives...

Which one? The Squareback?
    This is what I have , I like it so much I have 3 of the same kind. I removed the bottom plate, filled with fined sand to make it heavier...I cut all 3 to 32" to fit me, one gripped with oversized Winn, one gripped with large Winn .... NOTHING better out there, NOTHING, the head is very well balanced... I bought 2 brand new from Golf Galaxy when it opened a store in Wilmington DE for $14.95 each...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

[B]

Hold the phones. Really, wait just a minute. You're saying you were on the 10th day of a 14 day trip and you hadn't done any laundry? Ok, as someone who frequently travels for two weeks or more at a time, I've got more questions.

You packed 14 days of clothes? You brought alot of heavy patterned plaids and left yourself stuff that didn't match by day 10? You didn't think out in advance you were going to be videod and people you've never met around the world were going to give you s.hit about your clothes?

None of this is making sense to me, Pottsy. For crying out loud do a laundry. Are you still living with your mother?
    I didn't think it out you are correct! No I do not live with my mother but neither do I do my own laundry or ironing! That aint a crime lol

I didn't think it out you are correct! No I do not live with my mother but neither do I do my own laundry or ironing! That aint a crime lol
    Next time you play golf please show up as Pottsy and not Ralph Mouth.

Next time you play golf please show up as Pottsy and not Ralph Mouth.
    I am not sure who that is but sure OK!

At least I am in the minute few who have had a GR match!! :-)

[QUOTE=SoonerBS]To me, putters are like going out and buying a tie for work -- the style, color and type are all according to personality tastes. It is hard for me to come out and say that one putter is a piece of crap and another putter is the best. For me, some putters fit my style of stroke and others do not. For the next guy, it may be the total opposite. I don't take a great stand, for or against, any type of putter. If someone wants to play Scotty Camerons then to each his own. I do think they could probably find a putter that would serve them just as well for a lot less money.

I know we could take the same stand on all golf equipment this way, but I don't. I actually do think that someone just learning the game of golf and is willing to put the time in on practicing, will benefit from playing player's clubs vs. a super GI type club head. I think I'll always have that stand because that is what made the great improvement in my game. (Cue Edgey bringing up the 97).[/QUOTE]
    Or GHD bringing up the multiple public arse waxings at the hands of Big Dave.

So you're saying you touch your ball and modify it while it's in play? I hope you don't do that in GR matches.

Speaking of which, that makes for an interesting rules question. You aren't allowed to alter the playing characteristics of your eqipment during play, but isn't hitting a scuff mark on a ball changing the playing characteristics of the ball? And aren't balls considered equipment? I know if you cut a ball up you can replace it while it is in play, but scuff marks are just bad luck. Any rules nerds out there who can shed some light on this?

I tried out an Odyssey Backstrike mallet today at Dick's Sporting Goods. hOLY CRAP!!! That thing is SWEET. Unbelievable feel and roll. Furyk is using one at Doral.

They really are Dicks tho... They want $200 for it.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I am not sure who that is but sure OK!

At least I am in the select few who have had a GR match!! :-)
    I edited your post so that it reads more correctly.

After seeing the GR fashionistas rip into guys like Noshuz I had my GR Matchplay Outfit planned well in advance. I was on a 10 day trip but only had the one game of golf planned so I had my golf outfit set aside specifically for the match.

Apart from a little ribbing about white ankle socks with black shoes Oldplayer has taken all the flak from our match.

Now where the f#ck am I?

So you're saying you touch your ball and modify it while it's in play? I hope you don't do that in GR matches.

Speaking of which, that makes for an interesting rules question. You aren't allowed to alter the playing characteristics of your eqipment during play, but isn't hitting a scuff mark on a ball changing the playing characteristics of the ball? And aren't balls considered equipment? I know if you cut a ball up you can replace it while it is in play, but scuff marks are just bad luck. Any rules nerds out there who can shed some light on this?
    Yes, I do touch my ball when I'm on the green and between holes. I can't say if I've picked off little shreds of ball cover during a GR match but I've certainly done it during normal play. You bring up a good question and I'm not sure what the answer is. I would think that "cleaning" your ball would include picking off little pieces of shredded ball cover. Thanks for being obsessive compulsive.

Yes, I do touch my ball when I'm on the green and between holes. I can't say if I've picked off little shreds of ball cover during a GR match but I've certainly done it during normal play. You bring up a good question and I'm not sure what the answer is. I would think that "cleaning" your ball would include picking off little pieces of shredded ball cover. Thanks for being obsessive compulsive.
    I play at pretty poor condition courses so we have the preferred lies rule in play, which allows to lift clean and place the ball. But I still would like to know if you are allowed to pick the shreds off the ball when the ball is in play. My gut feeling is it wold probably be in breach of the rules, even though you would see most people doing it on the course.

And yes I am a bit OCD, but I would think anyone who posts thousands of times on a golf forum would be some sort of problem golfer.

Pottsy, must admit i was going to buy a fastback 1.5 or california del mar until i had a putt with a mates Newport(one with the slant neck). Thing is, i like putters with a soft feel, and i can tell you SC's are anything but soft.Yes, they look good and sit well,but are not worth the price tag unless you like a firm putter. Another playing partner of mine recently bought a GEL putter - semi mallet style, which sits behind the ball beautifully. Its feels fairly heavy in the head and puts a real good roll on the ball. Feel wise it sits in between my odyssey white hot tour and the SC. Also,I don't know if i would be comfortable on quick greens with a SC.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Pottsy, must admit i was going to buy a fastback 1.5 or california del mar until i had a putt with a mates Newport(one with the slant neck). Thing is, i like putters with a soft feel, and i can tell you SC's are anything but soft.Yes, they look good and sit well,but are not worth the price tag unless you like a firm putter. Another playing partner of mine recently bought a GEL putter - semi mallet style, which sits behind the ball beautifully. Its feels fairly heavy in the head and puts a real good roll on the ball. Feel wise it sits in between my odyssey white hot tour and the SC. Also,I don't know if i would be comfortable on quick greens with a SC.
    I often wonder if the Scottys the pros use are anything like the ones in the shops. Like you I couldn't imagine trying to putt on fast greens with something as firm feeling as a Scotty. I find distance control much easier with a softer putter, but maybe at their level they need the precision of firmer faced putter?

I totally agree. To me, the most important thing with a putter is how it looks to me at address. I don't like putters with the 90 degree bent hosel (like a Ping Anser). I like just a little offset and very simple design. One putter I'd like to try is a semi-mallet made by Odyssey that a lot of tour pros are using..the black series i #7. I wish they made the Cameron Kombie in a smaller model. I hate large mallets.

They make a kombi s model which is quite smaller than the original kombi.
    Driver: TM R9
    3 wood: Cobra S9i
    3 hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS
    4-uw: Ping i10 steel stiff.
    52* wedge: Vokey SM
    56* wedge: Vokey SM
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

After seeing the GR fashionistas rip into guys like Noshuz I had my GR Matchplay Outfit planned well in advance. I was on a 10 day trip but only had the one game of golf planned so I had my golf outfit set aside specifically for the match.

Apart from a little ribbing about white ankle socks with black shoes Oldplayer has taken all the flak from our match.
    Haha! The thing is, and I am sure that Edgey will back me up on this, there is a real stigma in the UK about wearing any type of white sock with any outfit at all. Men just do not wear white socks!! So should I have worn white socks with white shoes?? No not in my opinion!

Oh and I don't think the use of the word minute was wrong. In term of GR members how many have played an official GR match?

I often wonder if the Scottys the pros use are anything like the ones in the shops. Like you I couldn't imagine trying to putt on fast greens with something as firm feeling as a Scotty. I find distance control much easier with a softer putter, but maybe at their level they need the precision of firmer faced putter?
    Not sure NAH, but my playing partner is starting to get used his Sc and is making putting look very easy at the moment. He seemed to struggle with it for awhile, but kept saying how he loved the feel of it etc,etc and i got the feeling it was his way of jusitfiying the price tag. I believe it has taken him a good 3 months to get the pace of the putter down as he seemed to leave a lot short.The second time i tried it (couple of weeks ago) our greens were very quick and i couldn't leave a putt short even if i tried. I had an extended session with it and still did not like the firm feel and clinky sound of it, which is a shame cause imo the way they sit and look is probably un-equalled amongst putter manufacturers.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Hi Roo, I'm back from the Apple Isle and had a great trip. Top weather, which is important.
    I played your home track and was very impressed by it. It had enough length to be a challenge, plenty of variety in the holes and the condition was very good. I got a look at the 13th hole where you got your ace and thought it was a different and quite intimidating hole. You would want to be striking your irons ok when you got to that tee. If you were topping or duffing your irons you would not feel too confident on that tee! That's a big ugly gullly. I hit a five iron off the back tee, hit the green and made a par. I was pretty happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Not sure NAH, but my playing partner is starting to get used his Sc and is making putting look very easy at the moment. He seemed to struggle with it for awhile, but kept saying how he loved the feel of it etc,etc and i got the feeling it was his way of jusitfiying the price tag. I believe it has taken him a good 3 months to get the pace of the putter down as he seemed to leave a lot short.The second time i tried it (couple of weeks ago) our greens were very quick and i couldn't leave a putt short even if i tried. I had an extended session with it and still did not like the firm feel and clinky sound of it, which is a shame cause imo the way they sit and look is probably un-equalled amongst putter manufacturers.
    I have never liked firm putters, which is probably the main reason I'm so tough on Scottys. If I was an Anser style guy I would probably go for the Odyssey White Hot Tour with the slant neck hosel. Those putters don't suit my stroke, but for looks that model would be the one.

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I've finally decided which Scotty Cameron I think you should get. I can't remember the model name but it's the really overpriced gay one. Hope that helps.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I have never liked firm putters, which is probably the main reason I'm so tough on Scottys. If I was an Anser style guy I would probably go for the Odyssey White Hot Tour with the slant neck hosel. Those putters don't suit my stroke, but for looks that model would be the one.
    That's wierd because I always thought Scottys were the softest feeling non-insert putters.

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I've finally decided which Scotty Cameron I think you should get. I can't remember the model name but it's the really overpriced gay one. Hope that helps.
    My favorite Scotty Cameron putter is one produced back in 1995 named Catalina. It's black with one sight line and the shaft goes directly into the putter with no hosel.

That's wierd because I always thought Scottys were the softest feeling non-insert putters.
    This is why I can't get it out of my bag. In the future though, I'll only own Scotty's that have a long video narrated by Cameron himself talking about why they're special, starting with their name.
    GR lives...

You guys really have a problem with price! And gay for that matter. Or is it merely repressed urges???

Anyway I havent bought a SC in the end. I bought this instead: http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acata..._For_2011.html

I know a lot of you hate TM putters so I will wait for the abuse!!

You guys really have a problem with price! And gay for that matter. Or is it merely repressed urges???

Anyway I havent bought a SC in the end. I bought this instead: http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acata..._For_2011.html

I know a lot of you hate TM putters so I will wait for the abuse!!
    I'll try and be kind by saying it goes with your shorts.
    GR lives...

I'll try and be kind by saying it goes with your shorts.
    I'm seeing the plaid shorts all over the place now. It's not a style that needed to come back in fashion. I just can't get myself to buy a pair. I thought golfing attire hit it's peak about two years ago and since then it's become too metrosexual. Some of the stuff out now is beyond gay. I'm talking genetically gay.

I'm seeing the plaid shorts all over the place now. It's not a style that needed to come back in fashion. I just can't get myself to buy a pair. I thought golfing attire hit it's peak about two years ago and since then it's become too metrosexual. Some of the stuff out now is beyond gay. I'm talking genetically gay.
    I noticed plaid shorts showing up on the golf course shortly after they went on sale at Costco. I guess when metrosexual golfers shop at Costco they find them irresistable.

I hear what you're saying about genetics, but I'd like to see studies or at least anecdotes on how plaid shorts affect ranching.
    GR lives...

Thread Information